Wednesday 16 October 2013

Stretching The Legs!

With Mike out of town hunting, I've been going ridiculously stir crazy.  It's surprising how much having another (sort of) adult to talk to can impact your day.  We are going on Day 5 of just Henry and I, and while I'm grateful to get to hang with him all day, I'm feeling very isolated. When I start to feel shut off from the world, I start to get really sad.   Exercise
is the best sad exorcist, but without Mike to help with Henry, my options are either wait until Henry is napping (and ignore the growing piles of laundry, dishes and dog hair) or wait until he's asleep (which is about 9 o'clock on a good day) at which point I'm exhausted.   It's a vicious cycle because not being able to exercise makes me sad, which makes me want to exercise more, which makes me sadder when I cannot.   

I decided to take Henry for a walk today.  He has been so anti stroller lately that I didn't have high hopes that it would go well. I packed a "for the love of God stop screaming" emergency bag (popcorn, juice, banana, toys, waterbottle) and decided to err on the side of optimism and throw on my running gear.  

We set out with the intent of heading to a local duck pond.  I started off jogging, thinking that I could at the very least get some running in before Henry started losing his shit.   Within 5 minutes he was out like a light.  I almost cried with joy.  Keeping a close watch on his eyelids for signs of movement and an impending tantrum, I set off.   

7kms! We managed to hit 7kms before his little eyes fluttered open and he woke up.   By the time he was awake, I was within a block of our house so I just doubled around home.   My hips are are sore from pushing the stroller (which, also has somewhat low tires at the moment) but I FEEL AMAZING! 

We are going to grab a short walk after dinner (to help break up that sad, ridiculous long stretch of time between dinner and bed time)- but I'm feeling so
refreshed and happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment