Thursday 4 July 2013

Cravings

My mind is an awful exaggerator.  Ok, it goes further than that, deeper...  My mind is a dirty liar, a dirty, filthy liar.  

Last night, I was sitting innocently on the couch.   It was around 8pm, and I was unwinding from a long day of chasing Henry around the house.  Out of nowhere, a thought suddenly struck me; as bright and flashy as a bolt of lighting, and just as dangerous. 

"You want icecream". It shrieked at me.  Evoking the power of my will, I ignored it.  

"You want icecream!" Again, louder this time, closer and more bold.  I held my ground, I did not want ice cream.  No.  No ice cream. 

"You want icecream!!" It screamed  again, reverberating through my entire body. Gritting my teeth, I held to my convictions. I did not want ice cream, no matter what my crazy mind was trying to tell me. 

 Then... Quietly... Less like a lightning bolt and more like a firefly.... Sexy, smoky, seductive.....

"Dairy Queen S'mores blizzard...."  Those 4 words were enough to break down my conviction walls and shatter my resolve.    Dairy.  Queen.  S'mores.  Blizzard.  

Now, in my mind a Dairy Queen S'mores Blizzard is an amazing creation.  A few tablespoons of ice cream sit in a cup, barely enough ice cream to be considered ice cream.  Surrounding that ice cream is the treats... Marshmallows and graham crackers and chocolate....  Tons of it.  Tons 

In my mind, every bite of that blizzard is a new taste experience.  Chocolate! Marshmallows! Graham crackers!  The combinations of flavour explode in my mouth with every little red spoonful! The chocolate, is creamy and fudgey and delicious.  The marshmallows are big and chewy and glorious! The graham crackers are a perfect combination of chewy and crunchy all at once.  As I take my first bite, the heavens will open up and sunlight will stream onto my shoulders! The angels will sing with joy! Choirs will sing! My taste buds will explode in orgasmic happiness! I WANT S'MORES ICECREAM! 


The reality of the Blizzard will be a let down, and somewhere in my mind I know this.  It will be too much cold ice cream with not enough goodies.  The marshmallows will be the gross hot chocolate type, the chocolate will taste chemically (DQ chocolate always does) and the graham crackers will be disgusting crumbs.  

Knowing your cravings and facing up to them is half the battle.  It is the battle some days. 

How badly do you want that treat? 

Why do you want that treat?

Will it taste as good in reality as it does in your brain? (Maybe you have an honest brain! Mine is a dirty, dirty liar!). 

In the moment, it can be hard to address the source of cravings and to look at them rationally.  But, if the crazy part of your brain is in charge of the cravings, the rational part of your mind (and your mouth) won't enjoy the treat.  


No comments:

Post a Comment