Tuesday 2 July 2013

Food

Inevitably, when someone notices I've lost weight, they ask me how.  

I'm kind of a bitch.  A little bit... I like messing with people.  I usually answer flippantly 
"Oh, you know! Just chasing around the baby and eating healthy!" and giggle.  I can tell the person I'm speaking to wants to punch me.  I have the secret, they want it.  My glib response and non-answer frustrate this person.  The look on their face clearly illustrates they are thinking "you're a bitch," and are wishing that the sheer power of thought could make a person fat again.  But, it can't. So I win. 

(To be honest, it makes me uncomfortable to talk about my weight loss to real people.  It makes it real.  By having lost weight, it means I gained weight. I'm still semi in denial about that... But being a bitch is easier than being vulnerable).  

When it comes to food, I'm pretty relaxed.  I don't "diet". I eat ice cream and junk food.  I don't really restrict or avoid.   I just try to make healthy choices.  I may not eat a whole cake anymore (whatever, maybe I will), but why not have a.... slice or two.  Cake is amazing (ok, I'm not such a fan of the cake as I am the icing....mmmmm)

I do try to eat local.  I do try to eat fresh.  I visit farmers markets and butcher shop.  We grow our own veggies and we hunt.  I count calories (MyFitnessPal is a miracle), but I don't obsess. 

I feel better when I eat healthy. I have more energy.  I don't feel like I bathed in butter.  I am just happier overall.  

As I'm trying to figure out how this blog thing works, I'm finding ideas and discovering things I'd like to do in the future.  Sharing meals is one of those things.  So, here goes meal #1;




This- was dinner. Zucchini, carrots, Lima beans, cauliflower, green beans, red pepper and egg plants (frozen, packaged due to baby time constraints!). The meat is a whopping 8oz of pork shoulder roast, grilled on the BBQ and sprinkled with apple honey.  
Total calories; 650(ish).  

I promise, most meals look more appetizing than this- but it's a good start and I'm stuffed

No comments:

Post a Comment