Tuesday 8 October 2013

Tail... Meet Legs

Well.....  I went to bed last night and it was August 10th.  When I awoke, I was shocked to smell the scent of pumpkin spice lattes in the air and my previously green shrubbery all beautiful shades of crimson and gold; October 8th.  

The last 2 months have flown by with a speed known only to parents of young children.  It has been a frenzied blur of activity and I'm just now finding my footing. 

The move went as smoothly as it could with a man who gives up possession of our house a day early, despite not having early possession of our new house (thankfully, my inlaws had a large enough garage for all the belongings that wouldn't fit in the moving truck).  Our new house is wonderful and we are slowly getting settled.  

How was the Colour Run?  Spectacular.  It was honestly amazing.  Yes, it was all in fun, but I cannot express the feeling of accomplishment I felt running through those colourful gates.   The anticipation and adrenaline at the starting line was unlike anything I had ever experienced in a run before.   The high did not wear off within the first kilometre, or the second.   I found this 5k to be the absolute easiest I'd ever run, and most fun.   To be honest, I was nervous.  Despite racking up mileage like 15k and 18k the week before, for some reason the idea of running an organized 5 kilometre run weighed heavily on my ego. 
Me and H before the run

Mike met me near the finish line and handed Henry over to me, so I carried him over the finish line.   Now, I'm not a crier.  I'm even less of a crier when covered head to toe in coloured cornstarch.  But, carrying H over the finish line after I'd run my first ever 5k race was potentially one of the sweetest moments of my life.  A year before, I hadn't been able to walk from the couch to the bathroom without waddling and feeling winded.   A trip around the block left me tired for the afternoon.   Suddenly having the ability  to run a 5k without feeling tired or winded, and having to fight my body against the urge to keep going once I hit the finish line was truly an amazing and humbling feeling. Sharing it with H made it that much sweeter.  He is the reason I run, he is the reason I am healthy. So, to share my moment with him was an emotional experience I don't think I will ever equal....  Until I finish that half marathon next August. ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment